Skip to main content

Making a Complaint About a School

All schools are required to have a procedure to deal with any complaints relating to the school or any community facilities or services that the school provides.  You are entitled to request a copy of this procedure.

Schools are not obliged to investigate complaints once a child has been taken off roll or events that occurred more than 12 months ago.

Local Resolution (Stage 1)
If you have a complaint about your child’s learning or welfare in school your child’s class teacher or head of year is the best person to talk to first.

Complaining to the Head (Stage 2)
If you are not satisfied with their response, you can talk to the Head or you may wish to make a formal written complaint to the Head.

Complaining to the Governing Body (Stage 3)
If your complaint is not resolved the next stage is to approach the governing body of your child’s school.  All complaints to the governing body must be in writing.  The governing body may need to have a special governors’ complaints panel to discuss your complaint.  The school complaint policy will set out the process and procedures the school has agreed to follow.

If you believe that your school’s governing body has acted unreasonably you can complain to the Secretary of State in the Department for Education.

The Secretary of State
Department for Education
Sanctuary Buildings
Great Smith Street
London SW1P 3BT

Telephone: 0370 000 2288

Note:  The Department for Education do not usually investigate concerns if your child no longer attends the school where the incident took place.

If your child attends a Church School or an Academy, please refer to the documents at the side of the page.

Please note that some educational matters have a separate procedure or appeal process and are not dealt with by the school.

For advice and guidance on how to complain about the following services please contact the Local Authority Complaint Manager.

  • School admissions
  • School transport
  • Special educational needs
  • Children’s social work
  • Complaints about the curriculum; collective worship or religious education
  • Disapplication of the National Curriculum (does not apply to academies)

Who to contact and where to go

Children, Families and Adults Complaints

Telephone: 01872 323164


Alternatively, visit the Cornwall Council website.

Or contact by post:

Cornwall Council
North Wing
County Hall


Back to top
Powered by Open Objects ©