On this page you will find details to support you in your role as a childcare provider.
Some banks will offer advice on business planning. The following banks have some online tools to assist you:
Foundation Years website have business sustainability resources
Registering school based provision - latest information from Ofsted.
Family and Childcare Trust - Free 30 hours toolkit
Department for Education have developed a series of insights into business sustainability
- Grants advice service. Details about GRANTnet can be found on the Cornwall Council website.
- Procedure for notifying Ofsted of changes in your committee
- New start up grants available
Bank staff - the following agencies have advised us that they have some qualified staff on their books:
- The Early Years Foundation Stage and Childcare Training Directory lists courses in early education, childcare and playwork. It is designed to meet the training needs of practitioners within the Early Years Foundation Stage (including schools and private, voluntary or independent settings), childcare and playwork sectors.
- Reflect - a five to thrive intervention. A guide for parents, carers and professionals
- Key contacts
- School admissions information - guidance regarding applying for school, deferring entry to reception, in-term transfers
- Elective home education guidance
- Ofsted Common Inspection Framework
- Ofsted - Annual Report on Education & Skills
- Foundation Years website - for up to date news, information and statutory guidance.
- Useful guidance for the support of service children
- The Prevent Duty. Department for Education advice for schools and childcare providers.
- Bookstart: hold an extensive range of books which may help settings with emotional and behavioual issues. Deborah is happy to talk to anyone about anything not covered by the listed books. In addition to situation/issue books, she also holds an extensive collection of dual launguage picture books and boards which settings can borrow to support EAL children, as well as sensory and braille books for children with additional needs.
All Early Years settings can join their local library to borrow books for their topics. They can obtain a ‘Playgroup’ type library card which will allow longer loans than a personal adult card, free reservations and no overdue charges.
- Bold beginnings: The Reception curriculum in a sample of good and outstanding primary schools
- Prevent Strategy - information available in Cornwall
- SEN Toolkit This national toolkit will be of great use in assisting you with the development of SEN support for children in your setting.
- The role of the senco
- Disabled Children and the Equality Act 2010 for Early Years - link to Council for Disabled Children resources.
- Education resources for teachers and providers for young people to stay safe.
Link to fire and road safety advice and resources available through Cornwall Council.
- Wellbeing and Autism Wheel: The Wellbeing and Autism Wheel is designed to assist parents and professionals in finding helpful services and resources for their child, who may be on the Autistic spectrum or have a similar condition.
What you need to know is available on the link to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO).
Did you know, that if you are holding personal information about a child, such as files, allergies, feeding schedules, photographs etc on a computer, you may need to notify the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO).
SWGfl have useful free resources to help your with online safety and auditing for GDPR.
Useful documents on supporting children's transitions across the Early Years Foundation Stage:
- Moving on (PDF)
- EYFS Child transition summary (.doc)
- My Picture: Cohort summary version 1 (.doc)
- My Picture: Cohort summary version 2 (.doc)
- My Picture: EYFS individual termly/half termly progress monitoring sheet (.doc)
- My Picture: Room to room transfer summary (.doc)
- My Picture: The child's voice (.doc
- My Picture The parent's voice (.doc)
- Settling in plan (.doc)
- Sharing information about your child (.doc)
- Family and Childcare Trust
Family and Childcare Trust aims to make the UK a better place for families, through research, campaigning and information provision, and working with government, employers and parents to reduce pressures on family life.
- Foundation Years
A site to support you as a professional working with children and families in the foundation years.
- Communication and language resources:
Information about starting up and running a business in the UK
- Pre-school Learning Alliance
The Pre-school Learning Alliance is a leading early years membership organisation and one of the largest providers of quality childcare in England.
- Charities Commission
Information on the roles and responsibilities of trustees and committee members involved in the running of your setting.
- Nursery Milk Scheme
The Nursery Milk Scheme funds milk for approximately 1.5 million children under 5 years old.
- Save the Children
Offers a Resource Centre with information on child protection, health, nutrition and child poverty.
- The Challenging Behaviour Foundation
They provide information,and support to families and professionals and are committed to driving change to ensure that people with severe learning disabilties whose behaviour is described as challenging and their families can live happy and active lives in their community with access to healthcare, employment, leisure and education.
- Healthy Under 5s
Encouragement and support for all early years childcare providers to become health promoting environments and promote healthy lifestyles. Best Practice Guidelines help childcare providers to reflect on their current approach to health improvement.