Helston Birth Centre, Helston Community Hospital
Services and organisations that have the Local Offer flash have filled out inclusion information, meaning that they meet the needs of people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
Who can give birth here?
- If you arrive in the early stages of labour
- You'll be seen by a midwife who will check the progress of your labour
- You'll be encouraged to go home
- There's an area where you can be assessed
- You can have a bath or use a birth pool if available
- Transfer details
- If you need medical help during labour you'll be transferred to The Delivery Suite by road, 19.0 miles away, approximately 60 minutes away
- Find out more about why you might need to be transferred
- Birthing rooms
- 1 Birthing room(s)
- 1 Birth pool(s)
- 0 Inflatable birth pool(s)
- 1 Plumbed-in birth pool(s)
- Birth partners
- There are no restrictions on how many birth partners you can have.
- Baby must be head down
- You can discuss having your baby here, even if you don't fit the following criteria.
- Straightforward pregnancy
- Straightforward previous pregnancies
- Only having one baby in this pregnancy (eg no twins)
- BMI between 18 and 30.0
- Aged between 18 and 40 years old
- Between 37 and 42 weeks pregnant
- Maximum of 4 previous babies
- Women who live within the catchment area: Helston, Falmouth, Penzance, Cambourne and Redruth.
- You can give birth here even if you don't live in the catchment area
Your stay after you've given birth
- You'll be able to stay in the same room throughout your stay
- Women who've had an uncomplicated birth usually stay for 0-4 hours after the birth
- If you're transferred to the labour ward during the birth you can't come back to the birth centre postnatally
Who to contact
0132 643 0200
Booking phone number: 0132 643 0302
- Outside space
- There is no outside space available for women in labour
- Visiting information
- Not applicable - No private rooms
- You are encouraged to go home as soon as you are able. Open visiting times are after your baby is born until you go home.
Car parking for women in labour
Parking spaces at the maternity unit
- Outside space
Where to go
- Helston Community Hospital
- TR13 8DR
- Non-NHS Care
- Private maternity care isn't available here.
- Food for partners out-of-hours
- 24 hour garage nearby.
- Private postnatal rooms
- Amenity rooms are not available.
- Provision for partners staying overnight
- Partners can stay in a room with you on a reclining chair
- Women are discharged within 6 hours after birth so there is usually no need to stay overnight.
- Non-NHS Care
- Referral details
- Aromatherapy service
- Birth balls
- Birth mats
- Dimmable lighting
- iPod dock
- Reclining chair
- TENS machine
- Other: Aromatherapy available by local practitioner
- Birth pool
- Entonox (gas and air)
- How we make our service inclusive
- Wheelchair access to the wards and delivery suite
- Limited mobility: disabled access bathroom and ceiling mounted hoist.
- Hearing problems: there is no specialist provision.
- Sight problems: there is no specialist provision.
Specialist midwifery teams
- Antenatal Screening
- Infant feeding
- Perinatal mental health
- Substance misuse
- Vulnerable women
- Staff SEND experience
Learning disabilities: you will be supported by the special parenting team.
Autism spectrum: you will be supported by the special parenting team.
'TheBigWord' interpreting service. Contact the Patient Advice And Liaison Service (PALS) on 01872 252793 or firstname.lastname@example.org
'TheBigWord' interpreting service is available.
- Vulnerable women specialist team