Cornwall Music Education Hub
Services and organisations that have the Local Offer flash have filled out inclusion information, meaning that they meet the needs of people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
The Cornwall Music Education Hub is a partnership of organisations, led by Cornwall Council, all working together to support music education for young people in Cornwall.
The Music Education Hub is funded by the Department for Education, through Arts Council England, to improve access to quality musical opportunities for children and young people.
This is done in a variety of ways and the services the Musical Hub can offer are:
- A subsidy scheme for instrumental lessons, ensembles and instrument hire for children in care, those of Free School Meals and Services Families
- Grants to schools to fund whole class instrumental lessons for a term (First Access)
- Large stock of instruments available to hire (including class sets at a subsidised rate)
-Signposting and promoting exciting musical opportunities for children and young people through our website and social media.
- Manage a network of County Choirs which provide singing opportunities for young people from aged 7 - 18 as well as working with schools to develop their own vocal activities
-Manage the Cornwall County ensembles (Cornwall Youth Orchestra, Cornwall Youth Wind Orchestra, Cornwall Youth Jazz Orchestra, Cornwall Youth Percussion Ensemble, Cornwall Youth Brass Ensemble and Sax is our Business.
- Provide funding to numerous youth ensembles across the county offering progression in a range of different instruments and styles and for all abilities. Information about these can be found on our website -
- Offer training, support and guidance to teachers in schools in order to develop their music teaching skills, from primary right through to post-16
- Organise large scale performance events, school cluster projects and music festivals for young people which offer opportunities to perform to large audiences, compose, learn about music from around the world and work with professional musicians
- Working with professional musicians to offer workshops, masterclasses and performances to inspire young players and singers in all different genres
- Organise training and projects which support teachers and music leaders with making their activities more accessible for young people with disabilities or special educational needs
Who to contact
Where to go
- Cornwall Music Education Hub
Cornwall Council, Learning and Achievement Room South 2
Chy Trevail, Beacon Technology Park
- PL31 2FR
Please note this is our administrative address only, activities take place in a range of locations across Cornwall
Time / date details
- When is it on?
- Activities take place on different days and at different times, please check website for details
- Costs vary for activities, some activities are free
- Please enter details including what proof is required for the free or reduced rate
- There are subsidies available for ensemble membership and instrument hire for children on Free School Meals, Children in Care and children of Services families
- Referral required
- How we make our service inclusive
We have access to specialist equipment which enables young people with physical disabilities to be able to make music when they would usually be unable to do so using traditional instruments.
We offer subsidies to enable young people with statements to access one to one instrumental lessons as the same rate as a group lesson
- Staff SEND experience
We commission organisations and individuals with the necessary skills and experience of working with children and young people with SEND. These music leaders have worked in special schools, ARBs and Acorn Academies for a number of years.
- How our service supports providers / schools / colleges
We work with special schools and ARBs to offer time limited projects which enable their students to participate in quality music making activities and also provide training to classroom staff in order to make them feel more confident with music activities.
We work with nationally recognised organsations to offer specialist training for music leaders which helps them to support young people with SEND
- Other local or national support
Refer to Youth Music or Arts Council England
- Resolving disagreements, mediation and making complaints
Through Cornwall Council complaints procedure
Last updated: 03/05/2019