LEAF (Lifestyle, Eating and Activity for Families 0-6 years)
This is run in partnership with Royal Cornwall Hospital Trust and forms a Multi Disciplinary Team Obesity Clinic that brings together the expertise of dietitians, physical activity specialists and paediatricians. The programme runs over four months. The content of this programme includes:
- Individualised assessment with the Community Paediatrician, Children’s Dietician & Physical Activity Advisor
- Group sessions, exploring topics to help manage children’s weight including: balanced nutrition, healthy foods, food labelling, internal and external triggers, behaviour change, routine and activity
- Individualised follow-up assessment with the same team
Longer-term follow up is carried out by their primary health care worker e.g. health visitors or school nurses and signposted to other programmes for ongoing support.
Who to contact
- Table of costs
Table of costs Amount Cost Type free N/A
- Age ranges
- From 0 years to 6 years
- Referral required
- Referral details
Complete form on Healthy Cornwall Website.
- Child under the age of two with significant weight concerns.
- Children over two years old, should be >3.33sd for BMI. (If you would like to discuss a child below this e.g. if they have a co-morbidity or underlying cause then please contact the LEAF team to discuss)
- They ask that most children will have worked with their health visitor or school nurse for at least six months prior to being accepted into the clinic.
- It is essential that at least one parent/guardian attend the clinic appointments with the referred child. Other adults that are involved with the child’s care e.g. grandparents, are also invited to attend.
Last updated: 27/11/2015