Skip to main content

Money off council tax for Carers

In some circumstances, we do not count a live-in carer when adding up the number of people in a property. If just you and your carer live in your home, you may be able to get a Carer's Discount to reduce your bill by 25%.

The live-in carer must provide care for at least 35 hours a week and they must not be:

  • the partner of the person who is being cared for; or
  • the child's parent if the person being cared for is under 18.

The person being cared for must normally get one of these benefits:

  • The middle or highest rate care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component at either standard or enhanced rate
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • Increase in Constant Attendance Allowance under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions scheme
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Highest rate of Constant Attendance Allowance payable on top of full rate Disablement Benefit paid for an industrial injury

In certain circumstances when just you and your carer live in your home, you may still be able to get a Carer's Discount, even if the cared-for person doesn't get one of the benefits listed above.

After you've applied for a discount

You must carry on paying your current council tax bill until you hear from us with a decision.

  • If you get the discount, we will check every year that you're still entitled to it. We’ll cancel your reduction if you do not reply to our yearly letters.
  • Please tell us if your circumstances change, within 21 days, as this may affect your discount. If you don't tell us you may have to pay a penalty.

What do we mean by a 'partner'?

By 'partner’, we mean:

  • someone you're married to;
  • a civil partner;
  • someone you live with as if you are married to them; or
  • someone you live with as if you are civil partners.

A civil partnership is a formal arrangement that gives the same legal status as a married couple.

Occasionally we refer to 'your husband, wife, or civil partner' instead of 'your partner'. In that case, we mean someone who you are married to or your civil partner, not a partner who you live with as if you are married or as if you are civil partners.

How having a partner affects your benefit

If you have a partner, you must claim as a couple. We count your partner's income and savings, as well as yours, when we work out your benefit. If one member of a couple is claiming from us, the other member can't claim the same benefit for the same period of time.

Partners can choose who claims. To claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support or find out what you are entitled to use our online form.

Who to contact

Contact name
Cornwall Council
Apply for a discount
Back to top
Powered by Open Objects ©