Equine Assisted Therapy
Our organisation, the Brown Horse Academy CIC, offers the Equine Assisted Therapy (EAT) to persons who have mental and physical disabilities and personality problems. We offer the experience of visiting an equine centre and to interact and communicate with a horse. It is well documented that the interaction of humans and horses has a remarkable therapeutic effect on the person. There is no riding involved but simply being with and near a horse provides the therapy although many clients do continue by riding a horse.
We started in January 2014 and to date, have held over 250 sessions and assisted over 80 clients with varying disabilities including Autism, ADHD, Alcohol\drug addiction, PDA, MS, ME, Depression, Bullying. Tourettes Syndrome, Parkinson's, etc. We have opened a separate division to assist persons with cancer and especially breast cancer and will be offering our therapy to the Mermaid Centre and the new Macmillan Cove Centre which is opening in November.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Goonbell Riding Centre
- TR5 0PN
We have 9 stables throughout Cornwall where we hold the therapy sessions but currently we only use one in St Agnes as it has an indoor arena and is not weather dependant. The stables are suitable for wheelchair access and has car parking.
Time / date details
- When is it on?
- Monday - Friday
- Time of day
- Session information
Dependant on the disability of our clients
Details dependant on the clients needs.
- Table of costs
Table of costs Amount Cost Type £15 per half hour for initial session N/A £25 per half hour for further sessions N/A Per Child
- We have some funds from the Community Lottery Fund which will be offered to clients with special needs Please contact the office for details..
- Do you offer a free or reduced rate to carers?
- Please enter details including what proof is required for the free or reduced rate
- Age ranges
- From 10 years 0 months to 85 years 0 months
- Referral required
- How we make our service inclusive
All entrances have wheelchair access.
- Staff SEND experience
All staff are experienced with SEND clients and have equine assisted related qualifications.
- How our service supports providers / schools / colleges
We discuss with schools any student requiring our type of therapy
- Support at key transition points
All clients must provide their own tranport.
- Resolving disagreements, mediation and making complaints
All complaints are discussed with owner manager of the stables.
Last updated: 24/07/2020