Skip to main content

Tax Credits Helpline

Tax credits are payments from the government. If you're responsible for at least one child or young person, you may qualify for Child Tax Credit. If you work, but are on a low income, you may qualify for Working Tax Credit. You can often get both types of tax credits. They aren't taxable.

Working Tax Credit
Working Tax Credit is based on the hours you work and get paid for, or expect to be paid for. You can claim whether you're an employee or a self-employed person. But unpaid work doesn't count for Working Tax Credit.

Child Tax Credit
Child Tax Credit is paid to you if you are responsible for at least one child or young person who normally lives with you. You don't have to be working to claim Child Tax Credit.

How much do you get?
The amount of tax credits you get depends on things like:

  • how many children you have living with you
  • if you live with someone as a couple
  • whether you work - and how many hours you work
  • if you pay for childcare
  • if you or any child living with you has a disability
  • if you're aged 50 or over and are coming off benefits

Your payments also depend on your income. The lower your income, the more tax credits you can get.

On the HM Revenue and Customs website you will find a tax credit calculator to help you find out how much you may get.


Who to contact

0345 300 3900
Back to top
Powered by Open Objects ©