Breastfeeding Peer Support in Cornwall
Mother to mother support for all families
- Friendly, welcoming breastfeeding support groups in your local Family Hub and online.
- Led by trained Breastfeeding Peer Supporters who have breastfed their own children.
- Reliable, evidence-based information for all mums-to-be, breastfeeding and combination feeding families.
Your Midwife and Health Visitor will also help you with breastfeeding, if in doubt, please ask.
- Maternity Services: 01872 258000
- Cornwall Health Visiting: 01872 322779
- National Breastfeeding Helpline: 0300 100 0212
- Association of Breastfeeding Mothers: 0300 330 5453
- La Leche League: 0345 120 2918
- National Childbirth Trust (NCT): 0300 330 0700
- The Breastfeeding Network supporter line in Bengali and Sylheti: 0300 456 2421
Community-Based Drop-in Groups
Welcoming, inclusive groups throughout Cornwall, run by trained Breastfeeding Peer Support volunteers, supported by the local health visiting teams.
For everyone who is giving breastmilk to their child or planning to do so in future is welcome.
Many of our groups run in line with baby drop-in clinics or weighing facilities.
Please note: Our groups are not running currently due to Covid19. To find out what support is available to you, please speak to your midwife and health visitor, and see the information below:
One-to-one Peer Support
Confidential, friendly and non-judgemental breastfeeding peer support video calls.
For appointments contact us by email Breastfeeding@cornwall.gov.uk or phone the Central Health Visiting line: 01872 322779
Online Drop-In Peer Support Sessions
Come and join us online for a chat or for some support with breastfeeding!
Every Monday, Wednesday, Friday 10-11am
To join, please click here:
Mondays 10-11am Join Microsoft Teams Meeting
Wednesdays 10-11am Join Microsoft Teams Meeting
Fridays 10-11am Join Microsoft Teams Meeting
Each group is run by Breastfeeding Peer Support Volunteers:
- These groups are run by trained Breastfeeding Peer Support volunteers.
- Everything you say in the group is treated confidentiality by the peer supporters.
- Breastfeeding Peer Supporters are trained in Safeguarding and if we have concerns about somebody’s safety or well-being, we will refer this on to ensure the right support is provided.
- The group is for everyone who is giving any breastmilk to their baby or is considering doing so in future.
- You can drop in or out at any time during the session.
- If you’re in a noisy environment, we ask that you mute your mic while not speaking.
- We value your privacy and we do not record these sessions. Please keep everything that is shared in this group to yourself and don’t record the session.
- You do not need to create and account or log in, but if you are on a mobile you may need to download the app.
By accepting a meeting through Microsoft Teams, you are consenting for the Health Visiting and School Nursing team to call you via video conferencing. If answering from a 3G/4G enabled device, this will use your personal data. Please connect via unlimited Wi-Fi to avoid excess data charges.
Your video conference will not recorded or stored on any Council servers. A written summary of the conference will be documented on our internal systems.
For more information on how Cornwall Council uses your data, please visit: https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/health-and-social-care/childrens-services/how-we-use-your-information-to-provide-services/
No need to create an account or to log in.
Email Breastfeeding@cornwall.gov.uk for more information.
Breastfeeding Peer Support on Facebook:
Cornwall Council’s Together for Families Breastfeeding Support in Cornwall Facebook group is run by the Infant Feeding Peer Support Coordinator team and the Breastfeeding Peer Support volunteers who can answer your queries and offer evidence-based information as well as supporting the community of breastfeeding families across Cornwall.
Breastfeeding Peer Support In Cornwall https://www.facebook.com/groups/breastfeedingpeersupportcornwall
Peer Supporter will keep your queries confidential and we ask that you do share the information in this group anywhere else.
Safeguarding concerns will be referred to a safeguarding officer.
Please agree to the group rules before participating, thank you.
This group is for socialising with other parents, sharing information and supporting each other, so be kind, be courteous, be supportive.
If you have concerns that you wish to be addressed by the page admins (the Peer Support Coordinators) please click the dots in the top right hand corner of the post.
Anything deemed unacceptable will be deleted.
Any breach of these guidelines may result in you being removed from the group.
Your posts and comments will not be stored on any Council servers. For information on Cornwall Council data use click: https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/health-and-social-care/childrens-services/how-we-use-your-information-to-provide-services/
Interested in Volunteering with us?
If you would like to be part of the Breastfeeding Peer Support team in your local area, get in touch!
We are always looking for new volunteers.
Breastfeeding Peer Supporters are mothers/parents who have breastfed/chestfed their children and who have completed a training program empowering them to support families by offering evidence-based information. They work closely with the Health Visiting Teams and alongside Midwifery. All volunteers are DBS checked and have regular update training.
We run training courses several times a year, please email us to find out more.
Who to contact
Where to go
New County Hall, Truro
- TR1 3AY
Time / date details
- When is it on?
- Open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm
- Time of day
- Referral required
Last updated: 09/04/2021