Headstart Kernow Youth - #StartNow
Services and organisations that have the Local Offer flash have filled out inclusion information, meaning that they meet the needs of people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
Coronavirus - Check out our website for ideas to look after your wellbeing
Headstart Kernow is a partnership programme to develop resilience and mental well-being in young people aged 10-16. It is Cornwall Council-led and Big Lottery-funded.
Headstart Youth are a group of young people who help run the Headstart Programme and make sure the adults are listening to YP. Some of us struggle with our own wellbeing and want to use our experiences to help make things better for other young people
We wanted to:
- Share what HSK Youth is and how YP can get involved
- Share their thoughts about emotional wellbeing and mental health
- Make resources for schools to use to engage students in their Headstart work
- Reach out to YP who aren’t in school
We worked together to:
- Come up with the idea of ‘Start Now’ by looking at “Headstart Kernow” in a different way
- Design / build our own website — www.startnowcornwall.org.uk
- Design our new look with the Cornwall Council Design Team
- Decide the things we thought are most important to share with other young people including ’It’s OK not to be OK’
HSK Youth want all young people in Cornwall to:
Know how to look after your own wellbeing and mental health…
… and that “It ‘s OK not be OK” but also how to:
- Be aware when you need help
- Know where to get help
- Be confident to ask for help
- Help your friends when they are struggling
- Make sure your voice and your views are heard
Call to action!
We want to hear from and work closely with young people aged 10 - 16 so if you are a young person who would like to be involved, do get in touch.
You can get involved as little or as much as you like. If you don't feel comfortable coming to meetings, but still want to contribute, that is also possible. We have our own secure, private social network that you can join and take part in, or you can just contribute via our social media. Get in touch and tell us how we can best support you to have your say.
Who to contact
- Contact name
- Headstart Kernow
- Contact position
- Headstart Kernow Working Together Team
- 07484 916974
- Headstart Kernow Youth - #StartNow's facebook page
- Headstart Kernow Youth - #StartNow's twitter page
- Age ranges
- From 10 years to 16 years
- Referral required
- How we make our service inclusive
Many of our events and activities can be adapted to meet the needs of young people with physical disabilities.. Our approach is flexible to meet the needs of the individual. We can meet with young people before beforehand to help with reducing any anxiety young people may have.
- Staff SEND experience
Our team have experience and training in working with young people with additional needs. Staff are able to adapt their approach to meet individual needs.
- How our service supports providers / schools / colleges
Where relevant we work closely with schools and other settings to meet the needs of the young people.
- Support at key transition points
We work with young people aged 10-16. Transition is a key part of our wider Headstart Kernow work. When young people finish their time with us we hold celebration events to share and celebrate their progress and achievements.
- Other local or national support
We signpost young people and families to other support within the Headstart Kernow programme (including 1:1 support) and other services as appropriate.
- Resolving disagreements, mediation and making complaints
We will always work to resolve difficulties in a timely, positive and constructive way.
Last updated: 07/04/2021