Little Explorers outdoor pre-school @ Highway Farm
Services and organisations that have the Local Offer flash have filled out inclusion information, meaning that they meet the needs of people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
Little Explorers is an outdoor pre-school based at and owned by Highway farm.
We take children from 3 years old and offer the complete EYFS curriculum through the outdoors and outdoor learning and are outside upto 90% of the day. Children cook on camp fires, grow fruit and vegetables, look after the pets and explore all nature has to offer.
We have 3 eco buildings that we use as the bases for each of our 3 classes.
All staff have at least a level 3 in early years and are first aid trained. Rachel Besford, who leads one of the classes and also oversees the learning of the children in all 3 classes, has over 13 years teaching experience and 12 years within the EYFS stage in a reception class at the same school.
We fully follow the EYFS curriculum as do all other pre-schools, just our learning is through connecting with nature and learning outdoors.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Highway Farm Activity Centre
- TR16 6QA
Four Lanes Centre
- Table of costs
Table of costs Amount Cost Type £32.00 Per Full Day £20 Per morning £12 Per afternoon £7 Afterschool Club
- Do you offer a free or reduced rate to carers?
Inclusion within our setting
- Has provision
- Experience with
No food provided
- Children bring their own lunches. Our snacks are tailored to childrens needs and dietry requirments.
- Experience with
- All children are welcome in our home.
- We celebrate many cultures and festivals throughout the year, including our own cornish culture. This gives children the opportunity to broaden their own cultural awareness. For individual, specific cultures we would always research and liase with families direct on their own family and child's needs. We would also seek guidance from our local Early years support team.
- Languages spoken
- Are there any pets at the setting?
- List of pets
Other furred animal
- Immediate vacancies
- Please contact as vacancies vary daily.
- Vacancy range(s)
- From 3 years to 4 years (spaces available: )
- Date updated
- 3 & 4 year old funding
- 2 year old funding
Opening times & facilities
- Opening times
Opening times Day Opening time Closing time Monday 08:00 18:00 Tuesday 08:00 18:00 Wednesday 08:00 18:00 Thursday 08:00 18:00 Friday 08:00 18:00
- Offers pickups
- Pencoys Primary School
- For After school club.
- SENCo name
- Rachel Besford
Early Years Local Offer response
- Systems and strategies we have in place to identify children that may require additional support
We use the ECAT tool monitoring system as well as learning overviews to determin childrens individual needs.We also use the code of practice and always seek advise from our Local SENCO representative.
- How we identify and support children's learning and development needs
We carry out baseline assessments within the first 2 weeks of children starting the setting. We also carry out summerative assessments at the end of each term. This information is compiled onto a cohort tracking sheet and childre, areas of learning and other needs are identified and an appropriate plan is compiled. Any child which is highlighted will be given extra support from their key worker and SENCO. They will also have a tailored IEP and often work as part of a smaller focussed group.This is all in line with the EYFS framework, learning journeys and ECAT tool kit. ALL children take part in focussed adult led activities which are related to their individual learning targets and their own interests.
- Links we have to other agencies
We have strong links with Speech and Language therapists, Health visitors, CDC and the Local SENCO representative.
- How we support children transferring to school
ALL children are offerred very good transition to school regardless of SEN. We invite teachers in to our setting, we take children into their new setting. Learning overviews are shared. Personalised information to each child is given to their school.
Learning and development
- Specialist skills or training our staff have
We now have a qualified Early Years teacher with 12 years experience within EYFS who oversees the pre-school. General and specialised Skills and qualifications are mapped as a whole team and areas of training are identified. Individual training is identified through regular staff appraisals. 4 of our 6 staff have attended the SENCO leader training. All staff have attended basic Makaton, safeguarding and first aid. Other specialised training includes, Behaviour management and Sensory training.
- Support we offer regarding children's health and well-being
We support children according to their own individual needs.
- Ways we inform parents about how their child is being supported
Through Parent evenings. Tracking, monitoring and assessments. Learning Journeys. Daily feedback. Care plans. Routines. Welcome information booklet. Family activity days.
- Our complaints policy
We have a complaints procedure to follow with a clear order of events and next steps. We also have a complaints log. Ofsted would always be notified of serious complaints.
- Alterations we have made to make our building accessible
Our Main building now has ramped accesses and an accessible toilet, sink and shower room. The outdoor space is level and the lower pre-school building now has a graded ramp access for walking ( not weelchair). The second pre- school building is level access.
- Facilities we have for personal care
In the main building we have changing rooms and disabled facilities. In the pre-school rooms we have an area outside the toilets for changing, including, changing mat and potty.
- Specialist resources we have
Lots of sensory, natural resources. We make/ source/ buy resources as we need them taylored to individual childrens needs. These often then go with the children when they leave us to go to school.
- How we include all children in activities, such as trips
WE are very flexible and simply adapt all activities so that they meet the needs of all children in our care.
Last updated: 07/03/2019