Skip to main content

Money off council tax for severe mental disability

This is a reduction in your Council Tax because someone aged 18 or over who lives with you is mentally disabled and not counted for Council Tax purposes.

The rules say they must have a ‘severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning (however caused)’. This includes people who have been diagnosed as suffering with severe and enduring mental health issues including Alzheimer's disease, other forms of dementia and strokes.

To qualify for a reduction, the person must be over 18 and entitled to any of the following benefits:

  • Incapacity Benefit (IB)
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA)
  • The highest or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component at either standard or enhanced rate (PIP)
  • Increase in rate of disablement pension
  • The disability element of Working Tax Credit
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Income Support which includes a disability premium
  • Universal Credit including a work capability element

A mentally disabled person in your household does not always lead to a reduction in Council Tax: there can be no reduction if two or more people in the household are counted for Council Tax purposes. Apply if you are not sure, so that we can check.

If only one person lives at the property and they are mentally disabled this is covered by a different rule and the property may be exempt from Council Tax.

If a number of people live at the property and they are all mentally disabled this is covered by a different rule and the property may be exempt from Council Tax.

The person liable to pay the Council Tax should complete the form.  If this is the severely mentally impaired person, their representative can complete the form, on their behalf.

You’ll need to provide proof of one of the above benefits and your GP must sign the application to certify the severe mental impairment.

You can post applications to the address on the form, or take the form and proofs to any One Stop Shop for processing.

After you've applied for a discount

You must carry on paying your current council tax bill until you hear from us with a decision.

  • If you get the discount, we will check every year that you're still entitled to it. We’ll cancel your reduction if you do not reply to our yearly letters.
  • Please tell us if your circumstances change, within 21 days, as this may affect your discount. If you don't tell us, you may have to pay a penalty.

Who to contact

Contact name
Cornwall Council
Apply for a discount or an exemption
Back to top
Powered by Open Objects ©