Skip to main content

Cornwall Education, Health and Social Care - Education Welfare Service
Services and organisations that have the Local Offer flash have filled out inclusion information, meaning that they meet the needs of people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Each school in Cornwall has a nominated Education Welfare Officer (EWO) who visits regularly to check registers and discuss pupils about whom the school is concerned. The EWO can provide help and advice on school attendance issues, bullying, exclusions, child protection measures, advice and information on other agencies. They can also offer a degree of parenting support.

If you are worried about your child's attendance, try talking to your child's school first. If you feel unable to do this or you would like further help please contact the Education Welfare Service.

Who to contact

01872 323400

Other details


Referral required

Inclusion details

How we make our service inclusive

Education Welfare Officers will work with parents to support your child in attending school. This may involve liaison with other agencies to provide specialist training for staff and/or visits in convenient venues to the parents

Staff SEND experience

All Education Welfare Officers are aware of a wide variety of Special Educational Needs.

How our service supports providers / schools / colleges

The Education Welfare Service provides advice to schools and other providers on issues such as attendance, bullying, exclusions, child protection measures. We also provide advice and information on other agencies.

Support at key transition points

Education Welfare Officers will work with parents and carers to support their children to attend school regularly. The Education Welfare Officer can liaise with schools, where necessary, to support transition.

Other local or national support

Further information on the role of the Education Welfare Service can be found at:

Resolving disagreements, mediation and making complaints

Education Welfare Officers will work with parents/carers and schools to resolve any disagreement with regard to school attendance. Complaints about the Education Welfare Service should be directed to Tracy McLennan (Principal Education Welfare Officer) in the first instance.

Last updated: 19/03/2015

Back to top
Powered by Open Objects ©