Children in Care Education Support Service
The Children in Care Education Team works for and with all children who are in Care in Cornwall and offers advice to Foster Carers, Social Workers, schools and a variety of other agencies on their education.
The Children in Care Support Service is part of Cornwall's Children, Young People and Family Services. The Children in Care Support Service is committed to implementing the Government's Statutory Guidance on the duty on local authorities to promote the Educational Achievement of Children in Care, under section 52 of the Children Act 2004.
Where there are issues arising for schools, social workers or foster carers about individual children in care, please contact CiCESS as soon as possible. The Children in Care Support Service also assists in developing and implementing whole school policies to meet the Government requirements. These include:
- Every school to appoint a Designated Teacher to act as a resource and advocate for all Children in Care at the school.
- Every school to have a policy on Children in Care, including the role of the Governors.
- Every Child in Care to have a Personal Education Plan, completed in partnership by the school, Social Worker, Foster Carer and in consultation with the Young Person, to be reviewed and updated at Care Reviews.
The Children in Care Support Service is also involved in:
- Training (both single agencies or multi-agency groups)
- School admissions / exclusions / transport issues Celebrating Success, achievement and talents
- Supporting Children in Care at risk of exclusion
- Complex case work
- Key Stage targeting Post 16 support in education, employment or training
To view the Children in Care Support Service website please go to:
Who to contact
Last updated: 02/09/2015