Perinatal Mental Health Team
Mental wellbeing around the time of having a baby
Who are we?
We are an NHS service that specialises in the assessment, diagnosis and short-term treatment of women affected by a moderate to severe mental health illness in the preconception, antenatal and postnatal period.
We are a county-wide team that works with women of all ages, across a range of mental health problems, such as;
- bipolar disorder
- significant anxiety
- puerperal or postpartum psychosis
- significant depression
- complex PTSD (in partnership with other agencies where there is risk)
The service is for pregnant women with a pre-existing mental illness or those at risk, and women who encounter problems for the first time during or after pregnancy.
We work closely with midwifery services and health visitors. We focus on the baby's needs as an integral part of our approach and are able to offer specialist attachment-based interventions for mental illness which may be impacting on their relationship with their baby.
What we offer:
- preconceptual advice, pregnancy and birth planning for women who have had a previous mental illness
- advice or a professional consultation that may lead to further assessment and treatment options
- development of a care plan that meets your personal needs
- planning for the postnatal period to promote wellness and prevent relapse
- medication advice during pregnancy and breastfeeding e.g. anti-depressants
- support during pregnancy and up until baby's first birthday
- specific and specialist psychotherapeutic interventions relevant to the perinatal period
We work according to a stepped care pathway as recommended by NICE and this may involve signposting to other appropriate agencies or self-help. Women may, therefore, be offered a psychotherapeutic approach initially with other services.
We aim to contact everyone within 4 weeks of referral, unless urgent. We will try to offer you an appointment close to where you live.
Who to contact
- Contact name
- Mandy Raywood
- Contact position
- Specialist Perinatal Team Leader
- 01872 246820
- Perinatal Mental Health Team's facebook page
- Perinatal Mental Health Team's twitter page
Where to go
- Perinatal Mental Health Team
Truro Health Park (Room F028)
- TR1 2JA
This service is aimed at women from all over Cornwall and all efforts made to arrange consultations and meetings near to wherever is convenient for each individual.
Time / date details
- When is it on?
- Open Monday to Friday, 09:00 - 17:00
- NHS Service
- Age ranges
- From 0 years 0 months to 1 years 12 months
- Referral required
- Referral details
Women can self-refer or be referred by their GP, midwife, health visitor or another healthcare professional antenatally or postnatally up until a baby is 12 months of age. In addition we also offer pre-conceptual advice.
Last updated: 02/09/2021