Skip to main content

Welfare Rights Team, Adult Social Care, Adult Social Services, Cornwall Council
Services and organisations that have the Local Offer flash have filled out inclusion information, meaning that they meet the needs of people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Who are the Welfare Rights Team?

The Welfare Rights Team is part of Cornwall Council's Adult Social Services .

What do they do?

They have extensive knowledge of and experience in dealing with Welfare Benefit Law and regulations and provide the following services in Cornwall:

An Advice Service : To help people deal with all aspects of the welfare benefit system ranging from carrying out benefit entitlement checks , understanding qualifying conditions , explaining the application and assessment processes for disability benefits and what to do when they receive a decision they disagree with .

Social Security Appeal Tribunals  :

a) Advice and support to help people through the social security challenge processes, and

b) Help people to prepare cases for appeal tribunals i.e. explaining the legal principles of a case, help to gather supporting evidence and preparation of written submission for appeal tribunal panels.

All support and advice is provided by telephone, email and post - authority will be needed (verbally or written) to discuss a person's benefit affairs with someone else e.g. family member, friend, support worker, social worker etc.

Appeal Tribunal cases will involve home visits due to the more complex nature of the work .

What can't they do?

Non welfare benefit issues: we only deal with the welfare benefit system. If you have problems with debt , accommodation, we will redirect you to appropriate agencies. There is a list of relevant agencies at the bottom of this page.

Form filling:

a) There is high demand for home visits to assist people to complete application forms . The Welfare Rights Team do not have the resources to provide a 'form-filling' service .

b) Due to cuts in the national welfare benefit system by central Government and reductions in resources in the voluntary sector , the demand for 'form-filling' has increased to unprecedented levels . The demand is usually for home visits to assist people complete application forms . Requests for this type of help usually come from people who are applying for'sickness/disability benefits' and want someone to complete the application forms .

c) These forms are essentially 'self assessment' forms - there is myth that Welfare Rights Advisers' know what to say and that there are special phrases to use - this simply wrong .

d) All the claimant has to do is answer the questions on the form truthfully and accurately. The Welfare Rights Team will provide general advice on how to approach answering the questions on the forms, encourage people to complete the forms themselves and to contact local agencies, support workers, friends and family to assist them - only the claimant, and those closest to them, will know how their illnesses and disabilities affect their day-to-day functional abilities.

e) In the case of other 'non disability benefits', the applications require factual information about a claimant's circumstances so again, only the claimant will know the answers eg : whether they are single , part of a couple, if they have children, what income and savings they have, if they own or rent their accommodation, what other benefits they claim.

f) It is the claimant's application and only they (or their Appointee or Power of Attorney) have to sign the form to say that the information they have provided is accurate and complete .

Who to contact

Contact name
Sue Lovell
Contact position
Welfare Rights Officer
01872 324457
Fax: 01872 323942

Where to go

Welfare Rights Team , Adult Social Care, Adult Social Services, Cornwall Council
Cornwall Council , New County Hall
Treyew Road

Time / date details

When is it on?
Office open Monday to Friday from 09:00 - 17:00
Time of day
Session information

Other details


N/A - Our service is free
Please enter details including what proof is required for the free or reduced rate
N/A - we do not charge for our service


Age ranges
From 0 years to 150 years
Referral required
Referral details

We accept referrals from Social Care, other organisations, voluntary/community groups as well as individual members of the public .

Inclusion details

Saint Piran's Flag
Staff SEND experience

We are a Cornwall Council service and provide advice to assist families and young people access and progress through the welfare benefit system. If special skills are needed we rely on relevant support workers eg: social workers, carers etc to liaise with us.

Support at key transition points

Indirectly via referrals from relevant professionals or individuals.

Other local or national support

Networking and/or referring to relevant professionals and/or other organisations.

Resolving disagreements, mediation and making complaints

Cornwall Council's Listening and Learning: Compliments, comments and complaints.

Last updated: 16/08/2018

Back to top
Powered by Open Objects ©