Services and organisations that have the Local Offer flash have filled out inclusion information, meaning that they meet the needs of people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
We are a sessional pre-school open term time only that offers a breakfast club and late pick up, in a convenient location for parents with plenty of parking for easy drop off and collection. Rated 'GOOD' in our most recent OFSTED inspection.
We aim to provide each child with a stimulating, happy and secure environment where all children are able to reach their full potential, learning through all of their senses enabling them to build and develop a firm foundation of skills. A brand new sensory room is now available offering children a quiet space.
Our staff regularly update their training profiles by undertaking regular courses such as visual support, behaviour management, letters and sounds. We enjoy working closely with outside agencies who provide extra support for children with additional needs.
Who to contact
- Contact name
- Kate Stringer
- Contact position
- 01566 777529
Where to go
- Launceston Pre-School
St Thomas Hill
- PL15 8BL
Launceston Pre-School has a large, secure garden area to offer children the opportunity of safe outside learning.
The Pre-School has one large main playroom with a variety of resources to encourage and support learning through play.
New Sensory room offering a calm and quiet atmosphere separate from the main play room.
Close to the centre of town it is within walking distance to local bus service drop off point.
- Table of costs
Table of costs Amount Cost Type £9.50 Per Session 3.00 Lunch Club 1.00 Before school 2.00 Breakfast Club 1.00 Afterschool Club
- 2 Year Old 15 Hours Funding for eligible children.
3 Year Old 15 Hours Funding available for all children.
30 Hours Funding for eligible children,
Inclusion within our setting
- Has provision
- If required.
- Has provision
- Experience with
No food provided
- Any allergy/dietary requirements will be catered for.
- Has provision
- If required, this is discussed with parents
- Languages spoken
Makaton is used and encouraged with all the children in the Pre-School.
Visual aids are used to support and assist children's learning.
- Are there any pets at the setting?
- List of pets
- Other furred animal
- Immediate vacancies
- Limited availability, please call or email to enquire.
- Vacancy range(s)
- From 2 years to 3 years (spaces available: 5)
- Date updated
- 3 & 4 year old funding
- 2 year old funding
Opening times & facilities
- Opening times
Opening times Day Opening time Closing time Monday 8.00 16.00 Tuesday 8.00 16.00 Wednesday 8.00 16.00 Thursday 8.00 16.00 Friday 8.00 16.00
- Offers pickups
- SENCo name
- Kate Stringer, Ben Duncan and Helen Sinton
Early Years Local Offer response
- Systems and strategies we have in place to identify children that may require additional support
We use the following tracking and assessment tools to identify children that may need additional support;
- Chat Wheel
- Every Child A Talker monitoring sheet
- Baseline Assessments
- 2 Year Old Checks
- Assessments (carried out 3 times a year)
- Cohort Tracking (reviewed every term)
- Electronic learning journals
- Sensory Checklists
- How we identify and support children's learning and development needs
We use the following strategies/assessments to identify and support children's development needs;
- Visual Timetable
- Now and Next
- Spot Timers
- Small Group Work
We have experience following set targets from Speech and Language, Senior SENCo, Portage Worker, Education Psychologist and Child Development Teacher.
- Links we have to other agencies
We have experience working with the following outside agencies;
- Health Visitors
- Speech and Language Therapists
- Early Support
- Portage Workers
- Senior SENCo
- Social Workers
- Educational Psychologist
- Child Development Teacher
- TAC meetings are attended by both staff and parents.
- How we support children transferring to school
- We work with the local schools by inviting the reception class teachers to visit us.
- We feed into a variety of schools, with continued connections between us and Windmill Academy reception class.
- Children are invited in to schools to spend time in their new classrooms.
- If a child needs extra support their key worker and teacher will work together to ensure a smooth transition.
Learning and development
- Specialist skills or training our staff have
- SENCo Training
- Promoting Positive Behaviour
- EAL Support
- Visual Training
- First Aid Training
- Health and Safety
- Autism Champion
- 5 to Thrive
- Healthy Early Years
- Nippers Nutrition
- Support we offer regarding children's health and well-being
- Snack menu following guidelines from Nippers Nutrition
- Key Worker system
- SENCo Training
- Promoting Positive Behaviour Training
- Foundation Makaton
- 2 Year Old Checks are completed and a copy given to the parents to share with the Health Visitor
- 75 minutes per 3 hour session of exercise following recommendations from training.
- Yoga and calming time done during session
- Sensory Room
- Ways we inform parents about how their child is being supported
- Learning Journals are now online so parents can be in constant communication with Pre-School and their child's learning.
- Parents are welcome to arrange an appointment to discuss their child's learning and well-being throughout the academic year.
- Additionally parents are invited in termly to discuss their child's progress.
- Newsletters are given out at least termly.
- Parents are invited in for private consultations as and when needed.
- I.E.P's are shared with parents.
- Our complaints policy
- We follow the same procedure for all complaints, verbal or written no matter how big or small, with the same degree of concern.
- Steps are followed in accordance with our complaints procedure which is available for parents to view.
- The whistle blowing policy is available to staff and parents at all times.
- Ofsted phone number is on clear display for parents on entrance to the building.
- Alterations we have made to make our building accessible
- New secure fenced area allowing for wheelchair.
- New camera system at gated entrance.
- Portable metal ramp to use for gaining access to main building.
- Sensory Room available for quiet time with wheelchair access.
- Outside play area updated for all weather use with equipment suitable for children with reduced mobility.
- Facilities we have for personal care
- Open changing unit within our toilet area.
- Low level toilets and hand basins to promote independent self-care.
- Separate adult toilet and hand wash area.
- Specialist resources we have
- We have accessed resources from the EAL department such as books, CDs and posters.
- We have resourced equipment to support children with Sensory requirements (New Sensory Room now available)
- We can access certain equipment through the inclusion team depending on individual requirements.
- Portable ramp available for wheelchair access into the building and garden area.
- How we include all children in activities, such as trips
We have a range of outings and trips throughout the academic year. All children are invited to attend irrespective of their age or ability. We include parent helpers in addition to our normal staff ratios to make travel to and from our destination more manageable. We ensure that every trip is appropriate for all children by carrying out a risk assessment.
Last updated: 09/10/2018