Handyperson Scheme - Cornwall Council
The Handyperson Service provides help with household maintenance and repairs for people in Cornwall who are over 60 or have a disability.
How much will it cost?
If in receipt of a means tested benefit, such as Guaranteed Pension Credit or Housing Benefit, it is £12 per hour including VAT + the cost of any materials. If not then it is £18 per hour including VAT.
How can I access the service?
Call 01872 224707 and we will take your details then your local Handyperson will call you back and make an appointment
Is there a waiting list?
Depending on demand we hope to be able to visit within 2 weeks although it can sometimes be longer.
What sort of jobs will the Handyperson help me with?
They can help with minor repairs and adaptations in the home, including:
- Small building repairs, clear guttering on bungalows, small glazing jobs
- Minor adaptations (installation of grab rails, hand rails or temporary ramps)
- “Odd” jobs (putting up curtain rails and shelves, moving furniture, assembly of flat pack furniture)
- Changing washers or taps, renew sealants, replace toilet seats, small areas of tiling, unblock sinks
- General home safety checks with remedial action (fitting smoke and carbon dioxide detectors)
- Replacing electrical fittings such as sockets, light fittings
- Falls/accident prevention checks with remedial action (securing loose carpets or putting up grab rails)
- Security checks with remedial action (fitting key safes, spy holes, window and door locks and chains)
- Energy efficiency (for example installing low energy light bulbs, draught proofing)
- Loft clearance to allow for insulation to be fitted
- Cleaning pathways to minimise risk of slip hazard
- Signposting clients to other services
Who to contact
- If in receipt of a means tested benefit, such as Guaranteed Pension Credit or Housing Benefit, it is £12 per hour including VAT + the cost of any materials. If not then it is £18 per hour including VAT.
- Referral required
- Referral details
We take self referrals and referrals from other agencies
Last updated: 02/06/2014