Chelfham Senior School
Services and organisations that have the Local Offer flash have filled out inclusion information, meaning that they meet the needs of people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
Out of County Specialist Provision
Chelfham Senior School is a specialist day and residential school for boys and girls aged 7 to 19 years who have complex learning difficulties including behavioural, emotional and social difficulties (BESD) and autism.
Located on three sites in the Devon countryside and on the border with Cornwall, two of the school’s main sites at Bere Alston and Kilworthy House are registered by Ofsted as separate schools for education. This allows Chelfham to maximise the specialist provision and expertise provided to young people who have complex learning difficulties.
To achieve this, each site focuses on the following specialisms:
- Bere Alston School - Behavioural, emotional and social difficulties (BESD)
- Kilworthy School - Autism
- Continued and ongoing support with learning and life skills
- Individually tailored programmes for education, social and personal development
- Strong links with local employers to provide an extensive work experience programme for pupils
- Opportunities to integrate into community life
- A positive environment to bring about positive change
- Safe, secure and independent living environment
Placements can be either on a residential or day basis for up to 52 weeks of the year depending on individual need. We can provide places for up to 63 students.
Outcomes and achievements
Chelfham Senior School aims to help young people to develop socially acceptable behaviour. This is achieved this by providing a coherent, predictable and reliable daily routine. We follow an approach that values each individual, celebrating their individual achievements and demonstrating that each young person is a valued individual.
This has been illustrated through being awarded an Outstanding Ofsted grade for our 'Safeguarding pupil's welfare, health and safety' category, our Sportsmark Award in 2008/2009 and Investors in People award.
Students achievements and progress are celebrated through their involvement in:
- A proactive school council
- A stall at Tavistock market two days a week, staffed by pupils
- A café run by pupils on a Friday
- The school newspaper 'The Chelfham Moon'
- Charity and fundraising events
- Open days and activity weeks in the summer term
- Trips out locally to the moors and the coasts, residential trips home and abroad, outdoor pursuits
- Work experience
Who to contact
- 01822 840 379
Where to go
- Bere Alston
- PL20 7EX
Chelfham Senior School here...