First Steps Pre-School Porthleven
Services and organisations that have the Local Offer flash have filled out inclusion information, meaning that they meet the needs of people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
We are a 35 place Full Day Care nursery for children aged 0-5 years old. We are situated in a secure building within the St Elvans Children Centre.
All our staff are highly qualified and ensure that every child receives the best possible start in life that they deserve.
We offer flexible childcare and work in close partnerships with parents and families to help meet everyone's needs. We offer 30 Hours Funding to eligible 3 and 4 year olds from September 2017. Funding can be used during term time or stretched over the year.
Who to contact
Where to go
St. Elvans Childrens Centre
- TR13 9BX
Inclusion within our setting
- Has provision
- Our building has wide doors and is all flat.
- Has provision
- Through discussion with parents we aim to support any child with special dietary needs and will seek outside agency support if required.
- Has provision
- Experience with
- Yes would have an understanding
- Using are detailed registration forms we discuss with parents any cultural needs and aim to support. We would also contact Early Years EAL Support for further assistance regarding resources and interpreter support if required.
- Languages spoken
All staff speak English and use Makaton signing. We aim to support all children with EAL by working in partnership with parents. Alongwith with further support by Early Years EAL support and other outside agencies if required.
- Are there any pets at the setting?
- Immediate vacancies
- We have 9 places for children 0-2 years and 26 places for 2-5 years olds.
- Date updated
- 3 & 4 year old funding
- 2 year old funding
Opening times & facilities
- Opening times
Opening times Day Opening time Closing time Monday 7.45am 6.15pm Tuesday 7.45am 6.15pm Wednesday 7.45am 6.15pm Thursday 7.45am 6.15pm Friday 7.45am 6.15pm
- Offers pickups
- SENCo name
- Charlene Preece
Early Years Local Offer response
- Systems and strategies we have in place to identify children that may require additional support
Ecat observations and assessments.
Knowledgable and experienced staff in child development.
- How we identify and support children's learning and development needs
Through continual observation and assessment cycle.
- Links we have to other agencies
Situated in St Elvans children centre, the setting provides easy access to outside agencies. Health visitors, family support and the Early Years inclusion team etc are all easily contacted when additional support is required e.g. speech and language therapist
- How we support children transferring to school
We have good working relationships with local schools and hold meetings with nursery and reception teachers to support transition. Discussions with children re school /books/displays. Many of our children access various primary schools in the area, they are contacted and invited to the setting. Sharing of learning journals with parent consent.
Learning and development
- Specialist skills or training our staff have
SENCO, Makaton, Autism, ADHD. All staff have safeguarding training.
- Support we offer regarding children's health and well-being
We promote healthy life styles, both eating and physically. A display board promotes ideas for family healthy snacks/lunch boxes etc. Observe well-being and involvement. Grow our own vegetables to cook and eat.
- Ways we inform parents about how their child is being supported
Daily feedback, termly reports and meetings. If a child has an IEP, monthly reviews are shared along with with TAC meetings. Open door policy to share concerns and queries.
- Our complaints policy
Welcome to make any comments to management verbally or in wirting which will be dealt with professionally without bias within 28 days.
- Alterations we have made to make our building accessible
Building is part of the Children's Centre and so built to promote accessibility.
- Facilities we have for personal care
Toilets for children in 0-2 years and 2-4 years room and nappy changing facilities. Accessible toilet.
- Specialist resources we have
Sensory room, visual aids, large sand pit outdoors, nature area, muddy kitchen, Bob the Builder's yard outdoors and Castle role play.
- How we include all children in activities, such as trips
We aim to include all children, trips are risk assessed to meet the needs of the children.
Last updated: 18/08/2020