Skip to main content

Young Parents

Support for Young Parents.

Select 'View all services' to see everything available to support young parents, or browse our highlights below.

Pregnancy and BabySupport for new and expectant mums and dads/carers. Find out more Childcare and Early YearsInformation about childcare funding, Ofsted, childcare listings for children with SEND and the different types of childcare available to you.Find out more

Parenting ProgrammesParenting programmes are courses/groups that support you with some of the challenges of being a parent. We offer a selection of free courses, whatever the age or needs of your child.Find out moreHealth and WellbeingFind details on health services listed on this website from local support groups to counselling, helplines and much moreFind out more

Your Local Family Hub Services and support for Families. Parent and toddler groups, parenting programmes, support and drop-in sessions.Find out more


Helpful Advice and Guidance

Free online courses for parents and parents to be - The Solihull Approach

How to access the courses

  • Use the link below to visit the In Our Place website
  • Click on 'Start Now' and add the access code 'TAMAR' for free access
  • Fill in some details to create an account

Wild Young Parents Project

WILD works with young parents where one parent is under 20. We also welcome some young parents up to 25 years if they have extra needs. This includes pregnant young women and parents who are not living with their children.

Bookstart Baby Pack

You will get a Bookstart Baby pack in your baby's first year, usually from your health visitor or other health professional. Your child will also get a Bookstart Treasure pack when they are 3 or 4 years old from their nursery, playgroup or other early years setting.

Support and Information for Pregnant Teenagers

The Family Information Service

Contact us on 0800 587 8191, we can let you know what's happening in your local area.

Family Lives

Visit the website or call 0808 800 2222 for support for families, including young parents.


Visit this website led by midwives for the latest information for parents-to-be.

Can I carry on with my education while I'm pregnant?

At school

Yes, you can stay at school up until the birth and then return to school afterwards.

If you're pregnant or a mum, you're expected to stay at school and continue education until you finish Year 11. Your school shouldn't treat you any differently.

You're also entitled to a maximum 16-week break immediately before and after the birth.

You can leave school at the end of Year 11.

But until you're 18, you still have to either:

  • stay in full-time education (for example, at college)
  • start an apprenticeship or traineeship
  • work or volunteer (for 20 hours or more a week) while in part-time education or training

The law says colleges, universities or your apprenticeship employer aren't allowed to treat you unfairly if you're pregnant or a mum.

Further or higher education

You can only get maternity pay if you have a job, so very few students are eligible.

But if you're a student, you should be able to take maternity-related absence from studying after your baby's been born. How long you take will depend on your situation and your particular course.


Apprentices can take up to 52 weeks' maternity leave. If you're an apprentice, you may qualify for statutory maternity pay.

Maternity Action has more information about maternity rights for apprentices.

Help with childcare costs

If you're under 20, the Care to Learn scheme can help with childcare costs while you study.

You can apply if you're going to study at school or sixth form college or on another publically funded course in England.

You can't get Care to Learn if you're an apprentice who gets a salary or if you're doing a higher education course at university. 

For more information, visit the GOV.UK Care to Learn website, call 0800 121 8989, or email Learner Support.

Support and Information for Parents Aged Under 16

Mothers aged under 16

If you're under 16 and have a baby, you have the same legal rights and responsibilities towards the child as any mother.

Benefits and tax credits

If you live with your parents and they're claiming Child Tax Credit, both you and your child can be included in the claim. Your parents might also be able to claim a Social Fund Maternity Grant for you and your child. If they're claiming Housing Benefit, they can include you and your child in their claim.

Find more information about Housing Benefit.

As a young mother, you can claim Child Benefit once the baby is born - check if you're eligible for Child Benefit.

Benefit claims in these circumstances can be complicated. You or your parent should get advice from an experienced adviser – contact your nearest Citizens Advice.

Vouchers for free milk, fruit and vegetables

If you're at least 10 weeks pregnant, your parents can get vouchers for free milk, fruit and vegetables for you. It doesn't matter what their income is.

Once you've had the baby, your parents can continue to get vouchers for you only if they get:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit and have an annual income below a certain amount

Check what extra help and benefits you could get for maternity and children.


Local education authorities have a duty to make sure that all children under 16 get an education. They still have this duty to you, even if you become a mother.


As a young mother you won't normally be able to get privately rented or council housing because you're too young to have a tenancy. You can still contact social services at your local council and ask them to find you housing if your parents agree.

If you have housing problems you should speak to an experienced adviser – contact your nearest Citizens Advice.

Child maintenance

If you aren’t living with the child’s other parent, the Child Maintenance Service can arrange for them to pay maintenance.

Read more about arranging child maintenance payments.

Fathers aged under 16

If you're a father aged under 16 and you’re having problems staying in contact, you can apply for parental responsibility and a child arrangements order.

Child maintenance

If you're aged under 16 and father a child, you have to make maintenance payments when you start earning money or get benefits.

Read more about arranging child maintenance payments.


If you are under 18, you cannot make a valid will unless you are in the armed forces or a seafarer. No one under the age of 18 can act as a trustee, executor or administrator of a will.

Financial Support

Universal Credit

Universal Credit can be paid to top-up income from work or other benefits or if you have no other income. You do not need to work a certain number of hours to claim Universal Credit but you are expected to work or look for work as many hours as you are able to.

Sure Start Maternity Grant

You could get a one-off payment of £500 to help towards the costs of having a child. This is known as a Sure Start Maternity Grant. To qualify you should be expecting your first child or multiple births (such as twins), and you are on qualifying benefits.

Maternity Allowance

A fortnightly or monthly payment from the government if you can’t claim Statutory Maternity Pay.

Child Benefits

You get Child Benefit if you’re responsible for bringing up a child who is under 16 or under 20 if they stay in approved education or training.

Childcare Grant

You may be eligible for help with your childcare costs if you:

  • are a full-time higher education student
  • have children under 15, or under 17 if they have special educational needs

Care to Learn

The Care to Learn scheme can help with childcare costs while you study.

15 Hours of Funded Childcare for Two-Year-Olds

From the term, after your child turns 2 you may be eligible for 15 hours of funded childcare. Follow the link above to see how to apply, or call The Family Information Service on 0800 587 8191 to find out more.

15 Hours of Funded Childcare for Three & Four-Year-Olds

All children are eligible for 15 hours of funded childcare from the term after they turn three! You don't need to do anything to claim this, just let your Ofsted registered childcare provider know that you want to use these hours.

30 Hours of Funded Childcare for Three & Four-Year-Olds

Some 3 to 4-year-olds are eligible for 30 hours of free childcare a week, providing that you work a minimum number of hours each week. This link also includes information on the entitlement for foster parents/carers.

Healthy Start Vouchers

You could get free vouchers every week to spend on milk, plain fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables, and infant formula milk. You can also get free vitamins. You qualify for Healthy Start Vouchers if you’re at least 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under four years old and you or your family are on qualifying benefits.

Tax-Free Childcare

You can get up to £500 every 3 months (up to £2,000 a year) for each of your children to help with the costs of childcare. This goes up to £1,000 every 3 months if a child is disabled (up to £4,000 a year).

Council Tax Support

Council tax support helps people who have no income or a low income to pay their council tax.

Free prescriptions and NHS dental treatment

You can get free NHS dental care in the UK while you’re pregnant and for a year after the baby is born.

Need additional information?

You can find out more by using the link below.

Find out more

Support for Disabilities

Support for parents with children who have disabilities: 

Parents Carers Cornwall

Are you a parent/carer of a child with additional needs or disabilities? Do you attend meetings with schools, health services and organisations? Do you lack confidence in attending these on your own and wish you had someone who could go with you? Parents 4 Parents…07591 019548

Friends of Face2Face Cornwall Oasis Group

Are you the parent/carer of a child 0-25 with a disability or additional need? If so, please join us for a friendly chat with trained parent befrienders who can offer support and signpost. Also, meet with other parents/carers in a similar situation over a cuppa!

SEND Local Offer

Cornwall’s SEND Local Offer helps families by gathering in one place, the information that they need to know in order to make informed choices about the support they receive.

Cornwall's Max Card Scheme

The Max Card is the UK’s leading discount card for families of children with additional needs. Families can use their Max Card at venues across the UK to get free or discounted admission. 

Support for parents who have disabilities:

The Special Parenting Service

The Special Parenting Service (SPS) supports parents with a learning disability or difficulty. Our team helps parents by providing specialist assessments and interventions to help them achieve their parenting potential and improve outcomes for their children. The service also provides specialist consultation to health and…01209 318358

Easy read information for parents with learning difficulties


Useful Apps

Handi app

The HANDi Paediatric app gives up to date advice about common childhood illnesses and how to treat them. It’s now available to download for free onto any Apple or Android smartphone or tablet. The app contains information about when and how to ask for help, along with what to expect when your child is being assessed.

Baby Check app

Features 19 simple checks that parents can do if their baby is showing signs of illness. Each check tests for a different symptom and when completed, a score is calculated that tells parents or carers how ill their baby is. The app then lets parents know whether their baby needs to see a doctor or health professional

Download Baby Check app


Is an essential guide for new dads. Take a look at the website, or you can download the appl for Apple or Android devices.

Anything Missing

This information is a constant work in progress, please get in touch with us if there's anything missing.

Contact us

Back to top
Powered by Open Objects ©