Support for new and expectant mums.
Select 'View all services' to see everything available to support new mums, or browse our highlights below.
Helpful advice & guidance:
- Preparing for pregnancy | Family Lives
- Meeting your baby's needs before birth | Family Lives
- Top tips for new parents | NHS
- Esssential guide to feeding & caring for your baby | Cornwall & IOS RealBaby Milk
- Babycare tips: how to look after a newborn | NCT
- How to get your newborn to sleep | BookTrust
- Why do babies cry? The reasons and responses | NCT
- What babies learn at home | Family Lives
- Learning to talk and communication with your baby | NCT
- Your baby's development: 0-3 months | NCT
- Language development | luCID
- Ages and stages | Talking Point
- Help your baby learn to talk | NHS
Find support throughout your pregnancy, right through to the birth of your little one (up to about one year of age) This includes breastfeeding support, baby massage, post and pre-natal illness along with mental health support, hypnobirthing and positive birth organisations.
You will get a Bookstart Baby pack in your baby's first year, usually from your health visitor or other health professional. Your child will also get a Bookstart Treasure pack when they are 3 or 4 years old from their nursery, playgroup or other early years setting.
You could get free vouchers every week to spend on milk, plain fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables, and infant formula milk. You can also get free vitamins. You qualify for Healthy Start Vouchers if you’re at least 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under four years old and you or your family are on qualifying benefits.
You could get a one-off payment of £500 to help towards the costs of having a child. This is known as a Sure Start Maternity Grant. To qualify you should be expecting your first child or a multiple birth (such as twins), and you are on qualifying benefits.
Support for parents with babies who have disabilities:
Parents Carers Cornwall
Are you a parent/carer of a child with additional needs or disabilities? Do you attend meetings with schools, health services and organisations? Do you lack confidence in attending these on your own and wish you had someone who could go with you? Parents 4 Parents…07591 019548
Friends of Face2Face Cornwall Oasis Group
Are you the parent/carer of a child 0-25 with a disability or additional need? If so, please join us for a friendly chat with trained parent befrienders who can offer support and signposting. Also meet with other parent/carers in a similar situation over a cuppa!
Support for parents who have disabilities:
The Special Parenting Service
The Special Parenting Service (SPS) supports parents with a learning disability or difficulty. Our team helps parents by providing specialist assessment and intervention to help them achieve their parenting potential and improve outcomes for their children. The service also provides specialist consultation to health and…01209 318358