Skip to main content

Disabled Children's Record

What is the Disabled Children’s Record (DCR)?

The Children Act 1989 requires all Local Authorities to establish a record of disabled children and young people (up to the age of 19) in their areas.

It is your choice if you want to be a part of this record.

What are the benefits of being included on the record?

  • You will be notified of relevant news and updates about special educational needs and disability (SEND) services for children and young people within Cornwall.

  • You will also be able to create your own 'Care Passport' for your child that you can print off and give to people working with them. This is particularly useful during the summer holidays, when they may use multiple activity providers. The document highlights your child's needs in terms of mobility, continence care, medical needs, communication, eating and drinking, behaviours and emergency contacts. 
  • When your child approaches their 18th birthday, you will be contacted with details regarding the Emergency Carers Card scheme, along with an application form and how to apply. 

  • It also helps the Local Authority to map where people with SEND live, which can assist in service planning.  

The record is not linked to any other register and will not affect entitlement to services or benefits.

Please note, being on the DCR does not automatically entitle your child to services.

To access the DCR, either register or sign in on this website.

Once registered, visit your Dashboard to create a record for your child.

FREE Max Card

Please note: As we order in batches to prevent the cards expiring early, it can take up to 6 weeks to receive your card.

If you would like to apply for a FREE Max Card please follow the instructions below.

To apply for a Max Card through the Family Information Service follow these steps:

  1. Create an account on this website
  2. Sign in to your new account
  3. Register your child, along with their disability, on our Disabled Children's Record.
  4. Select the option, on the register to have a card sent to your family.
  5. We will send you a card in the post.*

Alternatively, request a paper copy of our Disabled Children's Record form, but ensure you leave a telephone number so that we can contact you for permission. 

* Please note, Max Cards will be supplied while stocks last but there is no guarantee or entitlement.

Back to top
Powered by Open Objects ©