Skip to main content

Carer's Needs Assessment

A carer is someone who gives regular care and support to someone else and isn’t paid for it.  If you’re an unpaid carer, you can have a carer’s assessment, which looks at the support you need to look after someone else.

You can have a carer’s assessment even if the person you look after doesn’t want to have their own needs assessment or isn’t eligible for help from us.

Visit the Cornwall Council website for more information about Carers Assessments and Caring for Adults. 

How do I arrange a carer’s assessment?

Please call us on 0800 587 8191 so that we can complete a referral form on your behalf.

How can a carer’s assessment help me?

A carer’s assessment can help you access things that let you continue as a carer, including:

  • Services like a carer’s personal budget
  • Taking a short break from caring
  • Equipment, meals or adaptations to the home of the person you care for
  • Help to remain in work or return to work if you want to
  • Education, training and leisure activities
  • Specialist advice about things like benefits

What happens at a carer’s assessment?

The assessor from Cornwall Council or a Carer Support Worker from Kernow Carer Service will contact you to make an appointment to visit or call you to talk about your needs and the services that can help you carry on as a carer. 

Where possible we’ll send you an assessment form before our assessor visits, so you can think about the help you need to continue in your caring role.  A friend or carer support worker can help you prepare for the assessment and be with you during the assessment if you wish.

When they visit, our assessor will complete an assessment form to record what’s going well in your caring role and anything you might need help with.

You don’t have to continue to provide care if you don’t want to, and you can talk about this with our assessor too.

What happens after a carer’s assessment?

  • You will recieve a copy of your assessment in the post
  • You will recive a copy of your support plan in the post
  • You will recieve a BACS form in the post (this may be sent after you recieve the assessment and support plan)
  • Your carers grant will be transferred into your bank account

There is a waiting time of approximately 3 months to recieve your grant.  If you have any queries regarding your grant please contact the Adult Care, Health and Wellbeing Access Service on 0300 1234 131.

What if my needs change?

We aim to review your needs as a carer every year.  You can also ask us for a review if your needs change during the year.

Can i apply for a carers assessment?

You're entitled to a carer's assessment if you regularly provide a substantial amount of care for someone. You don’t necessarily have to live with the person you are looking after or be caring full-time to have a carer’s assessment. You may be juggling work and care and this is having a big impact on your life.

If you are sharing caring responsibilities with another person, or more than one person, including a child under 18, you can each have an assessment (although for a child under 18 the assessment will be different.)

Back to top
Powered by Open Objects ©