Skip to main content

I need help with my pet

Would you appreciate a helping hand looking after your pet, someone to assist with essential tasks like feeding, walking and waste management?

Perhaps you are due to go into hospital and are worried about who will look after them?

Or maybe you can no longer care for your pet and are looking to rehome them?

These services may be able to help you.

Caring for your pet

The Animal Welfare Act 2006 makes a pet owner legally responsible for making sure any domesticated animal under their care has its welfare needs met.

This means all domestic animals have a legal right to:

  • live in a suitable environment
  • eat a suitable diet
  • exhibit normal behaviour patterns
  • be housed with, or apart from, other animals
  • be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease

Pet owners could be prosecuted if their animal's needs welfare needs are not met. 

The Blue Cross offers further advice on pet welfare.

Responsible dog ownership

Cornwall Council's Dog Welfare and Enforcement Service is responsible for dealing with a wide range of dog related issues inlcuding stray dogs, noise complaints regarding dogs, 

Who do I contact if I think an animal is being abused?

If you are aware of a case of animal cruelty, contact Cornwall Council on 0300 1234 212 or the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999.

Back to top
Powered by Open Objects ©