Safeguarding is when you help protect people's health, wellbeing and human rights, enabling them to live a life free from abuse, harm and neglect.
Safeguarding children and promoting their welfare includes:
- Protecting them from maltreatment or things that are bad for their health or development.
- Making sure they grow up a safe and stable environment, free from risks.
Safeguarding adults includes:
- Protecting their rights to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect.
- People and organisations working together to prevent the risk of abuse or neglect, and taking necessary steps to stop it from happening.
- Promoting individuals' wellbeing and taking their views, wishes, feelings and beliefs into account.
For help on safeguarding matters along with general safety advice see our pages: