Skip to main content

Benefits and financial support

When a child or young person has a special educational need or disability, the family may be eligible for certain benefits and financial support. We’ve listed some of the main options available.    

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

  • is under 16
  • has difficulties walking or needs more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability

Full eligibility criteria can be found on the GOV UK website.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP is replacing DLA for people with a long-term health condition or disability aged 16 to 64.

Find details about PIP on the GOV UK website.

Direct Payments for children and young people

Direct Payments are payments that are paid to the parent or carer of a disabled child, or to a disabled young person up to 18 years of age. It enables them to either arrange and pay for their own support and services or to receive support from an independent sector provider.

Further information can also be found on the Cornwall Council website.

Personal Budgets for children and young people

A Personal Budget can be used to access services from the statutory and independent or voluntary sector providers, mixing and matching what is available from organisations to best meet your child or young person’s needs.

Further information can be found on the Cornwall Council website

Direct Payments and Personal Budgets for adults

For people aged eighteen and over, arrangements for Direct Payments and Personal Budgets are administered by Adult Care and Support.  

Cornwall Council has produced leaflets to help explain more about Direct Payments and Personal Budgets

Carer's Allowance

If you help care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits you might be eligible for Carer's Allowance.

Charity grants

To help with the additional costs of equipment, short breaks, technology, furniture etc, some charities provide grants to eligible families. To find out about grants available, try contacting a charity that specialises in your child’s condition, they may offer funding or know of charities that do.

Other places to try:

Help applying for benefits

The following services might be able to offer assistance with completing forms:

Back to top
Powered by Open Objects ©