Skip to main content

Staying safe - who can help

Where can I find out how to be safe online?

If you would like to find out how to stay safe online, there are a number of organisations and services that can help, which you will find listed on our site. There is information about protecting your details, reporting cybercrime and general internet practice.

If you are worried about scam emails or protecting your privacy, the Age UK website has accessible information to help you.

What can I do about noisy neighbours/unsafe behaviour in my area?

In an emergency, phone 999. If it’s a crime but not an emergency, you can call the police on 101.

Anti-social behaviour is when someone acts in a way that worries, upsets or frightens people. It can make people scared to go out or afraid when they are in their own home.

Examples of anti-social behaviour include:

  • Physical violence against people and property.
  • Domestic violence.
  • Verbal abuse/harassment/intimidation/threatening behaviour.
  • Hate-related incidents based on race, nationality, sexual orientation, gender, disability, religion or age.
  • Dealing or supplying drugs, or use of premises for other unlawful purposes.
  • Alcohol or solvent abuse.
  • Noise nuisance (for example loud parties; shouting; noise from TV or hi-fi equipment; alarms).
  • Criminal damage and vandalism.
  • Rowdy or nuisance behaviour.
  • Misuse of communal areas / public space or loitering.

To report this, you can also get in contact with your Anti-social Behaviour Team.

If you are experiencing anti-social behaviour as a tenant of social housing, or the person committing the offence is a tenant of social housing, then contact your housing provider in the first instance. 

Who can I call when there is an emergency?

Depending on the type of emergency, you can use these contacts

Police, Fire and Ambulance -  999
Environment Agency Flooding Advice 
Reporting an environmental incident
South West Water (report a leak)
NHS 111 service

How do I stop unwanted telephone calls and mail?

To stop receiving 'Junk Mail' through your letterbox and 'Hoax' phone calls, you can sign up to the Mail Preference and Telephone Preference Service. 

These services allow you to 'choose' the type of responses you receive from companies. 

The Mail Preference Service

The Telephone Preference Service

You can also 'Block' calls to your Mobile or House Phone, the process varies for each type of phone, but it is always immediate and can be found in the instruction manual for the device.

What can I do if I have a crisis when out and about? (Safe Places)

If your crisis is related to your disability or health condition, you may have a safe place nearby where you can go for support. If a person needs help when they are in the community, they can show their Help card to a member of staff in a Safe Place. Someone will then call their emergency contact or the appropriate service, depending on what the problem is.

Safe Places help people with learning disabilities if they feel scared or at risk while they are out and about in the community and need support right away.

We have an interactive map of Safe Places available throughout Cornwall, they often have stickers in their window so you can spot them when out and about.

How do I contact my local police team?

If you would like to get in touch with your local police team, including Community Support Officers (PCSO) the Devon & Cornwall Police Website have a great search tool. All you need to do is enter your postcode, or select your town to see their details.

How do I know if something is illegal or suspicious?

If you are unsure if your behaviour or the behaviour of someone else is illegal, you can go to Ask the Police, a website that has thousands of answers to questions people have already asked the police. This tool can be useful if you struggle to detect suspicious behaviour and can help put your mind at rest. You can also find local information from the Police in your area.

Can professionals share information about me?

Professionals like doctors and the police sometimes need to share information about you with other professionals. They often need to ask for your permission first, but this isn't always the case. You can find out more about information sharing on our site.

Family, Friends & Carers 

The team in charge of your treatment can't give your family information about you without asking first; you must first give your consent. Learn more about your rights and who to ask for advice.

Back to top
Powered by Open Objects ©