Mental wellbeing describes your mental state - how you are feeling and how well you can cope with day-to-day life.
There are so many ways of getting healthy, happy and active in Cornwall, and they don't have to involve the gym or dieting.
So whether you're just getting started or looking for some fresh ideas, browse our selection of health and wellbeing providers and find an outlet perfect for you.
Below are five things that, according to research, can really help to boost our mental wellbeing:
- Connect – connect with the people around you: your family, friends, colleagues and neighbours. Spend time developing these relationships. Learn more in Connect for mental wellbeing.
- Be active – you don't have to go to the gym. Take a walk, go cycling or play a game of football. Find an activity that you enjoy and make it a part of your life. Learn more in Get active for mental wellbeing.
- Keep learning – learning new skills can give you a sense of achievement and a new confidence. So why not sign up for that cooking course, start learning to play a musical instrument, or figure out how to fix your bike? Find out more in Learn for mental wellbeing.
- Give to others – even the smallest act can count, whether it's a smile, a thank you or a kind word. Larger acts, such as volunteering at your local community centre, can improve your mental wellbeing and help you build new social networks. Learn more in Give for mental wellbeing.
- Be mindful – be more aware of the present moment, including your thoughts and feelings, your body and the world around you. Some people call this awareness "mindfulness". It can positively change the way you feel about life and how you approach challenges. Learn more in Mindfulness for mental wellbeing.
Listen to some audio guides to boost your mood.
Visit the NHS website to find out more.
The secret to getting fit for free is to use every opportunity to be active.
Click on the following links to explore new ways and places to exercise for free.
You will be taken to the NHS website.
- Walk everywhere
- Free running podcast
- Strength and Flex workout
- Cycle to work
- Stair climbing
- Park games
- Home exercises
- Trim trails (outdoor gyms)
- Green Gyms
- Outdoor gym
- DIY boot camp
- Free equipment
- Park football
- Contact your local authority
- Free gym passes
Visit the NHS website for more.