Skip to main content

Getting around

Picture showing a disabled persons bus pass

There are several schemes that give transport discounts for carers and people with disabilities, as well as schemes that reduce the cost of travel if you are using more than one form of public transport.

We have a variety of listings for adult travel, from taxis and private ambulances to community transport schemes

Please use the dropdowns below to find a list of relevant information.


The Motability Scheme

The Motability Scheme offers an all-inclusive package that allows anyone in receipt of either the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HMRC DLA), the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (ERMC PIP), the War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement (WPMS) or the Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP), to use their mobility allowance to lease a car, scooter, powered wheelchair or Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle.

Tax Exemption

You may also be exempt from Vehicle Tax. You still need to apply for vehicle tax even if you don’t need to pay vehicle tax.

Blue Badge Scheme

Your disability may mean you are eligible for a Blue Badge, so whether you are the driver or the passenger, you can park closer to the shops and services you need to access. The Blue Badge is for on-street parking only with different rules for off-street parking. Find out more on the Cornwall Council website.

Community Transport

Community Transport services may be available in your area providing a range of services.

Community Bus Services

Regular routes that follow a set timetable like the normal public transport network. These timetables can be found in the Cornwall Public Transport Area Guides or found via Traveline.

Voluntary (Community) Car Schemes

An organised form of lift giving where volunteers use their own vehicles to provide door to door transport. There is a rate per mile charge to cover the volunteer’s expenses.


A nationally recognised scheme which provides mobility equipment such as wheelchairs and electric scooters for hire in town or city centres. Advanced booking is recommended, and essential for some schemes.

Electric Bike/Moped Hire

Mopeds or bicycles are available for a low-cost loan alongside travel advice for individuals, who must be at risk of losing, or have a promise of a place at either education or work.

Dial-a-Ride (Demand Responsive) Services

Door to Door services which normally require the passengers to pre-book seats beforehand. Potential passengers will need to register as service members beforehand.

Cornwall Assist - Companionship & Driving Services

We are here to help support individuals and families to maintain independence whilst promoting well being.

View a full list of Community transport schemes

You can find a full list of contact details for the Community Transport schemes operating in Cornwall that are engaging with Cornwall Council.

Buses and coaches

You can get a concessionary bus pass for free travel if you are of eligible age or have a permanent disability. The card is free but there is a cost to replace it. You can check if you are eligible or apply

Passes from councils in England can be used for free:

  • at any time on a Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holiday
  • from 9:30am to 11pm on a weekday
  • (a maximum charge of £2 applies to journeys outside of these hours in Cornwall)

You can find out more about disabled bus passes on the Council website, or by visiting your local library or One Stop Shop.

Help getting on and off

The law says bus and coach drivers must give reasonable assistance to people with a disability, e.g. helping them get on and off the bus or coach. This doesn’t mean physically lifting passengers or heavy mobility equipment.

If you need help to get on and off a coach, you should ask for this when you book your ticket.

For more information about using the bus in Cornwall, visit the Cornwall Council website.


Accessibility & Wheelchairs on Trains

For information about travelling on trains with a wheelchair or mobility scooter, check with the train operator on the route. For journeys in Cornwall, please see Great Western Railway's 'Assisted Travel' page and Cross Country's 'Travel assistance' page.

For A Helping Hand When Travelling By Train

National Rail understands that when making a journey some customers would be more confident travelling with a little extra support and that’s why all train companies offer a helping hand for any trip through Passenger Assist. You can book assistance 24-hours a day by contacting National Rail's Passenger Assist on freephone 0800 0223720.

For textphone/minicom 0845 60 50 600 or visit

Discount Travel (disability or age-related)

There are a number of railcards available that you may be eligible for. These include:

If you’re eligible you can get up to a third off rail tickets by applying for a disabled person’s railcard. It also entitles a friend or carer to 1/3 off the travelling fare. 

You must provide proof that you qualify for the Disabled Persons Railcard. You might qualify if you have a visual or a hearing impairment, have epilepsy or are in receipt of a disability-related benefit.

Other Discounts

You may also benefit from using PlusBus, Rail-Bus Add ons or the Ride Cornwall Tickets

Your rights

Your right to travel by train is protected by the train company’s Disabled People’s Protection Policy (DPPP). Each train company must produce a DPPP and you can request a copy from the company.

Toll concessions

You may not have to pay the full fare at some river crossings, bridges and tunnels if you’re disabled. In most cases, you have to apply in advance to get a concession.

  • Tamar Bridge

    (A38 Plymouth-Liskeard)/Torpoint Ferry (A374 Plymouth-Torpoint)

    Free vouchers are available to people who:

    • receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance
    • receive War Pensioners Mobility Supplement
    • are exempt from the payment of Vehicle Excise Duty (Road tax); or
    • are registered blind

    You must apply for free vouchers before you travel. You can have up to 100 vouchers a year after you send proof of your entitlement and a passport photograph to the Joint Committee. Send a stamped addressed envelope with all enquiries.

    You can get full details from:

    The Tamar Bridge and Torpoint Ferry Joint Committee
    St Budeaux
    PL5 1LP

    Tel: 01752 812233

Back to top
Powered by Open Objects ©