Skip to main content

Support at home

If you need help around the home, a good option is to have a care worker come in to your home to help you.

Homecare comes in many forms and has many names used to describe it, including home help, care attendants and "carers" (not to be confused with unpaid family or friends who care for you).

Homecare can suit you if you need:

  • personal care, such as washing or dressing
  • housekeeping or domestic work, such as vacuuming
  • cooking or preparing meals
  • nursing and health care
  • companionship

Homecare can be very flexible, in order to meet your needs, and the same person or agency may be able to provide some or all of these options for the duration of your care:

  • long-term 24-hour care
  • short breaks for an unpaid family carer
  • emergency care 
  • day care
  • sessions ranging from 15-minute visits to 24-hour assistance and everything in between

Further information about home care can be found on the NHS website. 

Questions to ask when using a homecare agency

The fees some agencies charge can be quite high. Before deciding to go ahead with an agency, you should ask questions about the fee and what it covers, including:

  • Does the agency check references? 
  • What training and supervision do they provide? 
  • What is their complaints policy? 
  • Who will be responsible for insurance? 
  • Is there any out-of-hours or emergency contact if needed? 
  • Will they be able to provide staff if your own care worker is ill or away? (If an agency contracts to provide care every day, it must ensure that it does.) 

Hiring a personal assistant

You can hire a "personal assistant" to act as a homecare worker for you.

Personal assistants can offer you all that you’ll get from an agency worker, but you’ll also get the continuity, familiarity and ongoing relationship with your assistant.

However, if you employ a personal assistant, you will then have the legal responsibility of an employer. This will include arranging cover for their illness and holidays.

GOV.UK has more information on becoming an employer, while Which? Elderly Care also has advice on employing private individuals.

Finding The Right Live-in Carer

The Good Care Group have an excellent article detailing the benefits of having a live-in carer, along with great tips to ensure you hire the person right for you.

Read the Good Care Group article to find out more.

I am in urgent/desperate need of support

A needs assessment is a chance for us to look at your social care needs and work with you to find out which services will best help you to maintain your wellbeing and independence.

Contact Adult Social Care using the details below:

Website:  Cornwall Council

Telephone:  0300 1234 131


Back to top
Powered by Open Objects ©